Anyone on Instagram knows that donuts are in.
What is not to love? Sweet, doughy treats that you allow you to eat sprinkles for breakfast. Um, yes please.
Donut lovers are trading in traditional layer cakes and treating themselves to towers of their favorite breakfast pastry and we can’t blame them. Layers of donuts, toasted coconut and salted caramel come together to make this non-traditional cake perfect for a birthday party, brunch gathering or any extra special friend date!
Coconut Caramel Donut Cake
8 donuts (or how many you wish to serve)
2 cups shredded coconut
sprinkles and dragees (optional)
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup corn syrup
12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) butter, room temperature
1 cup heavy cream, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 tablespoon sea salt
1. Pick out some of your favorites donuts. We went for a mix of chocolate, glazed and sprinkled, of course.
2. Spread coconut on a parchment lined baking tray and bake in 350-degree oven for 10 minutes or until golden, stirring every few minutes to ensure even toasting. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
3. Make caramel sauce.
1. Combine sugar, cream of tartar, corn syrup and water in a heavy sauce pan. Add water last to wash any sugar off the sides of the pan. Place on medium heat.
2. Cook sugar syrup, without stirring, until it becomes a rich amber color.
3. Carefully remove from stove and add butter. Stir with a wooden spoon until butter has melted.
4. Add heavy cream and carefully stir until smooth.
5. Pour into a heatproof bowl and allow to cool.
6. Add vanilla bean paste and sea salt and mix until combined.
4. Stack one layer of donuts on a plate and alternate coconut, caramel, and donuts until you have stacked all of your donuts. To ensure donuts stick to one another, dip the bottoms of each donut in caramel before stacking on your tower.
5. Sprinkle with sprinkles and dragees of your choice, top with a candle or topper and dig in!
Photos by BHP Imaging of Laramie, WY.