Whenever the temperature starts to rise ice cream has to happen. Right?
I think we all can agree that a favorite and nostalgic summer time treat is an ice cream sandwich. While chasing down the ice cream man is always a good idea, whipping up this classic treat with a twist is quick and simple.
Light and crispy coconut macaroons and mango sorbet come together in this refreshing treat perfect for cooling off this summer.
[Bonus! Omit the white chocolate and wow your friends with this gluten free, dairy free dessert!]
Coconut Macaroon and Mango Ice Cream Sandwiches
6 cups shredded coconut
1 2/3 cups sugar
7 egg whites
1 12 ounce bag of white chocolate chips
1 pint mango sorbet
1. Combine coconut, sugar and egg whites in a saucepan and place on medium heat. Stir constantly, about 12 minutes, until all ingredients are combined and the sugar has dissolved, leaving a sticky mixture.
2. Scoop the mixture onto parchment lined sheet pans in approximately 2” mounds.
3. Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 15 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. The cookies will appear evenly golden and will no longer stick to the parchment.
4. Allow cookies to completely cool while you melt the white chocolate chips.
5. Fill a saucepan halfway with water and bring to simmer on the stove. Place chocolate chips in a bowl that fits on top of the simmering water pan. Stir constantly to avoid seizing the chocolate.
6. Dip the bottoms of the cooled cookies in the white chocolate. Once the chocolate has set, sandwich a scoop of sorbet between two cookies. Serve immediately or seal in airtight container and store in the freezer.
Photos by BHP Imaging of Laramie, WY.