Oatmeal Cream Pies were a lunchbox staple back in the day. I will always have a place in my heart for the Little Debbie favorite, but these scratch made Oatmeal Cream Pie Cookies are a game changer. Stuff them with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and you have yourself a winner, perfect for cooling off after a hot day in the sun.
Oatmeal Cream Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Adapted from Martha Stewart
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
8 ounce (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 ½ cups rolled oats
½ cup raisins (optional)
1 pint vanilla ice cream
1. In the bowl of a mixer beat sugar, brown sugar, molasses, vanilla bean paste and butter until fluffy.
2. Add eggs one by one and mix until smooth.
3. In a large bowl whisk flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
4. Slowly add dry ingredients into mixing bowl and beat until combined. Add oats and optional raisins and stir until combined being cautious of over mixing.
5. Scoop heaping spoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets, leaving a 2 inch space between cookies and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10 minutes. Cookies will have set in the middle and appear golden on the edges.
6. Allow cookies to cool completely before sandwiching vanilla ice cream between two. Serve immediately or seal in airtight container and store in the freezer.
Photos by BHP Imaging of Laramie, WY.